[GRASSLIST:9095] Re: OFT: gpsbabel and usb serial adapter

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Nov 16 00:53:47 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:02:38PM +1300, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> > I have done this with "GPSman" on my laptop.  THe nice thing about
> > GPSman is  that with the "gpsmanshp"  plugin you can get it to export
> > the tracks, routes, and waypoints directly to shapefile for input into
> > a GIS.
>
> fyi, v.in.garmin does this directly into GRASS.

Unfortunately I have had trouble getting gpstrans to work under FreeBSD in the
past.  Since v.in.garmin uses gpstrans and also uses "tac" (another utility
that does not exist on BSD), gpsman/gpsmanshp is my best option -- that it
also works with my favorite APRS application, xastir, (an amateur radio system
for real-time postion reporting and tracking) is another reason I stick with it.
I haven't looked into gpstrans in a year or more, though --- perhaps it is
more portable to non-linux systems now than it was when I first tried it.

But I have indeed used a USB serial port adapter (mine is a Belkin F5U103)
on my laptop with this software to get data from a Garmin eTrex, which was
really what the original poster asked about.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster