[GRASSLIST:9098] Re: 3D blocks again

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 05:06:28 EST 2005

> We got the answer with hint that only hacking NVIZ code is the right
> possible way how to add new symbol INTO NVIZ tool.
..
> Where are the symbols from NVIZ ? In Mesa ?

They are mostly in lib/ogsf/gsd_objs.c. I have just added cube and
wire-frame box objects in 6.1-cvs.

If anyone wants to add more they are made by OpenGL calls, but it is
pretty simple to copy an existing one and modify the copy.
Edit visualization/nviz/scripts/panel_site.tcl to add to the menu.

I also activated a 3D asterisk and gyroscope that were already defined
in the ogsf libs.

(see attached image)

> In short : we compute some geostat. parameters for mining production.
> We split main mining unit into small minining units (500 000) - blocks
> (based on geostat computing). As I have already written, for every
> block X,Y,Z as coordinates of centroid are available; width, length
> and height are known. We only need generate those boxes and display
> them in 3D. Our main task is find - HOW TO - store them like 3D
> objects in PostGIS and import into GRASS - no way (as I know, but I
> hope I'm mistaken) ? etc etc ...GML ? I have no answer from GDAL forum
> for my question : Doeas gdal suport 3D GML objects ? etc. etc.

Note the above NVIZ icons will probably not be of a known calibrated
scale and you will need to adjust until it looks right.

If you want the boxes to be exactly the correct size (e.g. to use with
3d rasters), you will have to follow the example Jachym posted for
defining 3D 'faces' using v.in.ascii.

The vector ascii format is described here:
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass6/doc/vector/vector.html#ascii

If you want the vector points' boxes to be semi-transparent, you will
have to learn a little OpenGL and edit gsd_objs.c by hand.

Hamish