[GRASSLIST:9143] problems with v.in.ogr

Marco Rigotti mrigotti at agrsci.unibo.it
Fri Nov 18 10:06:35 EST 2005

hello,

I'm a grass 6.0 newbie, and I am experiencing a few problems using it.
The major one is importing data.

I tried to import some vector data in shape format.  I was able to use
them with other gis softwares (Arcview, Geomedia), so I guess there are
no issues with the data themselves. Anyway, I used v.in.ogr to load a
shp file, and here is the given output log:

v.in.ogr
dsn=/home/marco/grassdata/data/Bacini/gaiana_UTM/BacIdrograficoDigitalizzato.shp
output=gaiana_digit_3 min_area=0.0001 snap=-1 -o
Over-riding projection check.
Proceeding with import...
Layer: BacIdrograficoDigitalizzato
ERROR 3: Error in fseek() or fread() reading object from .shp file.

1 feature without geometry.
Building topology ...
Registering lines:
0 primitives registered
Building areas:
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids: Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   0
Number of primitives:   0
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   0
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0

I tried to display the imported file, but there was nothing on the
display, obviously. I followed exactly the same way to import another
shp file; there were still some warnings, but the file was imported, and
I succeded in displaying it.

Has anyone suggestions?!?

Thank you in advance!
Marco