[GRASSLIST:9177] Re: NVIZ flipping

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Nov 21 17:29:17 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 10:45:08PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <werchowyna at epf.pl> flavor, containing:
> On pon, 2005-11-21 at 13:33 -0800, Ian MacMillan wrote:
> > Hi all, I don't think I have seen this issue addressed in the past
> > (sorry if it has already been addressed), but it is a long time problem
> > with nviz.  Whenever I bring my height down below my highest surface
> > elevation, my image flips upside down.  I can see the underside of my
> > surface correctly, it is just that I am viewing a mirror image of my
> > surface, reflected on a horizontal plane.  Once I adjust my height back
> > higher, the image reverts back to its regular orientation.  I have
> > experienced this bug since Grass 5.0, and am now using GRASS 6.1cvs.
> > It usually isn't a problem, however if one has multiple sub-parallel
> > surfaces, it is difficult to view the lower surfaces.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it just too complicated a bug to
> > fix?  Does it only happen on macs?
>
> For sure not only, I've been having it on different Linuces as well.
> Annoying, I admit. Hopefully Bob can take a look at this. He's done a
> loot of good things for NVIZ.

I've been observing this behavior for years (since the early betas of
5.0.0), and I believe it has been commented on in this list often.  I
think if someone figures out why it happens they will earn the undying
gratitude of many NVIZ users.  Or at least one.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster