[GRASSLIST:9189] Color shaded relief

Jason Horn jhorn at bu.edu
Tue Nov 22 16:59:58 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had experience creating
attractive color shaded relief images from DEMs.  The basic procedure I
have used is as follows:

1) r.shaded.relief DEM azimuth=270 altitude=30
2) d.his h_map=DEM_shadei_map=DEM

This is the procedure suggested in Markus' book.  My problem is that
I always end up with rather muddy-looking results.  I have tried all
kinds of variations on this procedure, including different altitude
settings, recoloring the hillshade with a contrast-enhancing
greyscale color scheme before running r.his, etc.  No real
improvement.  As an example of what I'm shooting for, have a look at
this:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/grk.shtml

Can anyone suggest a technique for achieving this quality?

- Jason

Jason Horn
Boston University Department of Biology
5 Cumington Street  Boston, MA 02215