[GRASSLIST:8485] v.to.rast problems

Gregory Booma gcb2101 at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 4 10:59:22 EDT 2005

Grasslist:

I'm converting vector polys to raster and have discovered a couple
of issues:

First, it looks like overlaps are not being handled properly. For
example, if I have one polygon within another:
 __________
|  ___     |
| |___|    |
|__________|

when I use 'v.to.rast polys out=raster use=cat' the output raster
contains only the value of the larger polygon, covering the area of
both.

I had previously converted the same polys in grass 5.4 with the
correct outcome (i.e. all polys were represented in the output
raster).

A second issue is that when I use r.info on the output raster, the
number of cats listed reflects the highest cat value in the output
raster, not the actual number of cats represented.

Not sure if I'm missing something this time around, or if I've
uncovered a bug in the newer v.to.rast version.

Cheers,

Greg