[GRASSLIST:8493] Re: ps.map resolution

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Oct 4 20:10:16 EDT 2005

Hamish wrote:

> Suggestion:
>
> 1) We add a "dpi" control to the "paper" ps.map instruction. Bump current
> 75dpi restriction to a default of 300dpi(??). My original thought would
> be to make the default 1200dpi, but those 200mb PostScript files really
> start to pile up after a while..
>
> 2) As for the 1e8 limit, that's a 10000 x 10000 cell region which isn't
> uncommon on a modern system. Dumb fix is to bump that to e9 which sets a
> max of ~31600 x 31600 region size for the color case. Bumping to e10
> means 100000 x 100000 which we probably won't hit for a long while. But
> making this arbitrarily large gets away from the point of having a limit
> in the first place, so maybe better just to rip it out and only leave in
> the max dpi control (variable).

My suggestion: get rid of the limit altogether. If you don't want huge
PostScript files, use "g.region res=" (or r.resamp.rst) to reduce the
resolution. Note that the code will only reduce the resolution if it
is to high; it will never increase the resolution.

My guess is that those settings originated with someone getting
complaints from the sysadmin about users sending 50MB print jobs
because they weren't thinking about what they were doing. If you have
problems with users sending oversized print jobs, configure your print
spooler to limit the size of a print job.

There is no other valid reason for that code to be there. Even without
it, the user can always choose to use a lower resolution.