[GRASSLIST:8516] troubleshooting Cygwin and Grass 6 installation

Paulo Froes froesp at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 10:11:26 EDT 2005

Dear Grass users,

Could someone help me with CYGwin and GRASS 6 installation under Windows XP? I am having a hard time to install Grass and the web tutorials seem to be of no help to overcome specifics...

When trying to restart the installation process using CYGwin setup, following the step "choose a download site" and after adding http:/geni.ath.cx/ to the list and selecting it together with another mirror site, I am getting the following error messages:

Cygwin Setup:
 Can't open http:/geni.ath.cx/grass/setup.bz2 for reading: Invalid argument

Cygwin Setup:
 Unable to get setup.ini from <http:/geni.ath.cx/grass>

Many thanks in advance for any help. Would appreciate as well if someone has written an alternative  step by step  installation "guide"  under Windows XP and could share it...

Paulo