[GRASSLIST:8559] Re: gshhs

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 22:16:59 EDT 2005

> > I have not been able to find v.in.gshhs in grass6.0 and do not seem
> > to be able find any reference to this as an upcoming plan for
> > grass6.0.  I used this before in grass5.0 and grass5.1 with no
> > trouble and need this now for grass6.0.
> >
> > I have tried to import the gshhs shp file but I get an error when
> > trying to display a zoomed in level on this file (and have
> > previously reported this error to the list with no response).
> >
> > Anyone know if this is/will be available for grass6.0?  Or if there
> > is a specific reason it was left out?

in general see the Module Porting List on the wiki, but for v.in.gshhs
it has no answer. (unported so far)

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/ModulePortingList

> > Alternately, does anyone know of an alternate data set for this
> > then?

If you are just after coastline data, you might try v.in.mapgen with
data from NOAA's coastline extractor.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/shorelines.html

USA at 1:70,000, world at 1:250,000.  Same dataset as GSHHS????

v.in.mapgen isn't included in GRASS 6.0.x but is in 6.1-cvs. I think
you can copy that script into 6.0 without any trouble though.

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/scripts/v.in.mapgen/

Hamish