[GRASSLIST:8642] Re: Eureka! [was Re: Re: NVIZ not working properly in GRASS 6?]

Ross A. Beyer rbeyer at arc.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 14 17:18:46 EDT 2005

Tom,

> > Might be something quick to try.  I'm really curious if it helps, as
> > it'll light a fire under me to upgrade that laptop's system.
>
> It is indeed quick to try, and solved my problem.  Maybe it'll solve yours.

I'm glad for the pointers, but it didn't work for me.

I set everything up in my xorg.conf file for my ATI FireGL card,
however glxinfo displayed "direct rendering: No" and close inspection
of /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows this:

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering not yet supported on Radeon 9500 and newer
card

Okay, I also have this Radeon 9200 card that I can try out.  Despite
the fact that the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file shows

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled

glxinfo still says "direct rendering: No".

In both cases, NVIZ displayed the same graphics buffer junk in its
visualization window, so I continue to be out of luck.  I think
that your question about why NVIZ needs direct rendering is a valid
one, and maybe someone can answer that.  However, short of a
GRASS-centric solution, it seems I need to go out and find a way
to get direct rendering working for NVIZ to work.
--
                                             Ross

                                http://RossBeyer.net/science/