[GRASSLIST:8721] transv. mercator proj. to flat x/y coordinate system

Ulrich Leopold uleopold at science.uva.nl
Thu Oct 20 13:16:10 EDT 2005

Dear list,

I was wondering if I can export a grid map or vector points as ascii grid or
ascii points out of a transverse mercator projection and then use those x and
y coordinates as a flat projection in non-GIS programms to do interpolations.
The units are in meters already.

Or do I have to respect the projection in order to not get positional errors
and distortion? I then could probably convert the transverse mercator
projection first into a flat x/y coordinate system and then export grids and
vector points as ascii data? If so, how can I do that in GRASS?

Cheers, Ulrich