[GRASSLIST:8726] Re: Still moving with tutorial...v.in.ogr issue

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 20:59:08 EDT 2005

> As i read on tutorial, when i inport an ESRI vector, the command reset
> the category.

Yes. Use v.reclass to reset which column is taken to be the category
column.

> I do some test and i realize that if in the original
> file i got a  cat column with some value (for example
> 100,101,102,103,104) in GRASS the  table vector layer has got
> 0,1,2,3,4. In another test i try to import a vector with no cat
> column, and grass created  it...So all the vector layer in GRASS has
> got a cat coumn?

yes. If it doesn't exist it will be added. v.in.ascii, v.in.db let you
specify which existing column to use as the category column if you don't
want a new one. With v.in.ogr you need to use `v.reclass column=` to
switch to a previously existing cat column.

Hamish