[GRASSLIST:8736] Re: feature request for v.to.rast

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 00:17:01 EDT 2005

Hi Dylan,

> Re: feature request for v.to.rast

could you please file a wish report in the bug system so it doesn't get
forgotten about?

http://grass.ibiblio.org/bugtracking/bugreport.html

> Just wondering how hard it would be to modify v.to.rast to use the
> GRASSRGB column to setup a color rules file for a new raster.. i.e.
> so that a raster produced in this manner will have cells colored just
> as the vectors were.

I don't think it would be too hard to do for integer/category maps, but
I worry about how big the raster's colr file gets for e.g. a 100,000
point data vector or a floating point attribute map with R:G:B values
calculated from a script (ie as many rules as features). Maybe we just
issue a warning and let the user do that if they want.

For now you can write a script that parses the output of v.out.ascii.db
(from the wiki add-ons page) and formats that into color rules that is
fed via a pipe into `r.colors color=rules`.

Hamish