[GRASSLIST:8768] Re: Icon on raster

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 20:57:25 EDT 2005

> I'm using Grass 6 in the development of a cellphone network planning
> tool.  I would like to plan a network by setting up some cellphone
> towers, and would like to know if there is some function in Grass
> which will enable me to place small 'tower'-icons on a raster map at
> specific geopoints.  I am using r.what to retrieve the location where
> a tower was set up, but would like to display all the towers already
> set up as well.

Make the tower possitions as vector points (v.in.ascii) then display
with "d.vect icon=your/tower". For hard copies you've got a bit more
control with ps.map, eg you can use a EPS file for the icon and
dynamically set the size with vpoints sizecol.

You'll have to make your own tower icon of course, it's not so hard to
do:

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassProgrammingHowto#Display_Symbols

move the file into $GISBASE/etc/symbol/local/tower or somewhere like
that.

It works really well.

Also check out "d.vect display=attr", v.label and d.paint.labels for
attaching tags.

Hamish