[GRASSLIST:8769] Re: Querying display monitor locations as percent from origin (0,0)?

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Wed Oct 26 21:14:26 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 05:49 pm, Hamish wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a simple legend for sediment grainsize analyses
> > (attributes consist of % gravel, % sand, % silt, % clay). I already
> > have some really nice looking pie charts created using d.vect.chart,
> > and now I want an accompanying legend in the upper-right corner of the
> > monitor for a screen capture. Is there a way to query the coordinates
> > of locations on the monitor as percentages from the lower-left corner?
> >
> > I could make a reasonable guess as to where I think the legend should
> > appear in display coordinates, but I want to use d.graph to build a
> > little window containing all the legend elements; having the exact
> > queried coordinates could just be pasted into the d.graph command.
>
> I think the best you can do is kruler and a hand calculator.. :/

[snip]

Really? I wonder how hard it would be to adjust the monitor commands to accept
a slightly more useful form of location directives... I have spent a bit of
time fussing around with percentage values until I finally got a reasonable
legend...

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis