[GRASSLIST:8210] r.shaded.relief looks terrible

Jason Horn jhorn at bu.edu
Thu Sep 8 10:20:28 EDT 2005

I am trying to produce a shaded relief of an an area of low hills,
and I am getting very strange results.  When I zoom in on the
resulting shaded relief, it looks fine.  When I zoom out, however, it
looks terrible on the screen.  It looks like a grey area with white
and black lines running through it, like noise.  Interestingly, if I
zoom in, take a screen capture, open the screen capture in a graphics
program and zoom out, it looks great.  So I think that
r.shaded.relief is doing the right thing, but that the interpolation
in the GRASS display monitor is really making it look terrible.  The
funny thing is, I have done this before on this same area and did not
have this problem.  That was, however, using an older version of
GRASS.  It's very difficult to explain this w/o graphics.  Please let
me know if I should email graphics.

Thanks

- Jason