[GRASSLIST:8214] error in gnomonic projection - ?

Milan Salek salek at chmi.cz
Thu Sep 8 12:10:30 EDT 2005

Hello,

I have some difficulty with transformation from/to gnomonic projection
 which I found in 'my' area and repeated in Spearfish training dataset.
I have spent some
time dealing with it but did not find any solution.

For example, I set up a new location spearfish_gnom with following
parameters(for faster calculation I chose coarser resolution than orig.
Spearfish dataset):

$cat PROJ_INFO:
name: Gnomonic
proj: gnom
a: 6379000.0000000000
es: 0.0
f: 0.0
lat_0: 44.4600000000
lon_0: -103.8500000000

$cat DEFAULT_WIND:
proj:       99
zone:       0
north:      5000
south:      -30000
east:       20000
west:       -2000
cols:       220
rows:       350
e-w resol:  100
n-s resol:  100
top:        1
bottom:     0
cols3:      1
rows3:      1
depths:     1
e-w resol3: 1
n-s resol3: 1
t-b resol:  1

I reprojected elevation.dem from spearfish to spearfish_gnom and found
that there was a considerable (evident) shift in NS (y) direction of
about  20 minutes (20'). EW direction is OK. The same results were
on other area in Europe.

In case the problem is between the keyboard and my chair I put the
r.proj command:

GRASS 6.0.1 (spearfish_gnom):~ > r.proj input=elevation.dem
location=spearfish mapset=PERMANENT output=elevation

I work on Mandrake 10.1, proj 4.4.9. The proj itself converts the
projections OK.

Do you have any suggestion?

Best regards

Milan Salek