[GRASSLIST:8248] Re: Is there an upper limit to size of dbf the dbf driver can handle?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 22:21:49 EDT 2005

> I've been working with really big text files consisting of DGPS
> navigation feeds for surveys about 2 weeks in length. At 2-second
> resolution, the file  has something like 254,000 records, way too big
> for OpenOffice. Can the dbf driver create and edit a dbf of this size?

Yes, but better to use GRASS 6.0.1 or 6.1-cvs.

LIDAR data with up to 3 million points has been tested successfully with
the DBF driver and v.in.ascii. 300k points should pose no problem.
I don't have much experience with v.in.db but if anything it should be
smoother although probably has the same memory bottleneck "registering
lines".

Other databases (eg PostgreSQL) might do a better job at dealing with
large datasets. [but I'm not a DB person so don't take my word for it]

Hamish