[GRASSLIST:8298] Converting from text to dbf format

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Sep 15 15:03:41 EDT 2005

I should have included this question in my last post on dbf driver size
limits... How do you get a really big text file with about 300k coordinates
into dbf format in the first place?
Running db.tables doesn't show text files, and renaming the file extension
doesn't work, either. Too big to edit in OpenOffice.

I thought maybe I could cram the text file through v.in.db, but alas I get
'cannot select cursor' errors; not that I really expected it to work, just
tried it for fun.

Is there maybe a 3rd party utility that anyone knows of that will do the
conversion?

Thanks,

~ Eric.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric Patton

Technologist, Geo-Spatial Data Services
Geological Survey of Canada (Atlantic)
Natural Resources Canada
Bedford Institute of Oceanography
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada B2Y 4A2

Postal address: P.O. Box 1006
Courier address: 1 Challenger Drive

Telephone: (902)426-7732
Facsimile:  (902)426-4104
E-mail:        <mailto:epatton at NRCan.gc.ca> epatton at NRCan.gc.ca