[GRASSLIST:8346] Re: Output file created after running v.out.ascii empty - GRASS6.0 problem

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 20:58:03 EDT 2005

> I had successfully carried out digitization using GRASS5.3
>
> I have now digitized lines using v.digit in GRASS6.0
> v.digit -n  map=zuari_out  bgcmd="d.rast goa-map256out6"
> where the backdrop map (goa-map256out6) is geocoded from the xy
> location. I get a output vector file,
> Upon using v.info  on it , it gives all correct information.
>
> Upon using d.what.vect on it , i get the following output:
> map: 'zuari_out'
> mapset:'goa'
> feature type:'line'
> length:21980.862888
>
> It does not display the lat-lon values on the point clicked on the
> vector (as it does in GRASS5.3)
> Is it a fault in the way i carry out the digitization procedure or is
> that the new vector format?

This is normal, you are asking about what vector feature lies under the
mouse, not what geographic position it represents. Use d.where if you
want that.

> Also when i try to convert it into an ascii file using
> v.out.ascii  input=zuari_out output=zuari_out.ascii
> the output file produced is empty.
> why does this happen?

maybe two reasons:

1) In the default mode v.out.ascii only outputs information about point
data, not lines. Use 'v.out.ascii format=standard' to get line/area
information.

2) I think it only will output point features that have a category. Use
v.category to add if missing.

Hamish