[GRASSLIST:8388] ps.map resolution

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 23 01:17:59 EDT 2005

Hi all, I don't think this has been discussed on the mailing list
before, sorry if it has.  Is there any way to increase the resolution
of a raster using ps.map?

  As near as I can tell, all rasters come out at 72 dpi.  My work-around
so far has been to use ps.map, then double, triple, or quadruple my
scale on a huge page, then use some other software to scale that back
down to increase the resolution of the raster within the postscript
file.  This gets cumbersome for large maps.

One used to be able to mess around in $GISBASE/etc/paint/ps.devices so
that you could add or delete different paper sizes with their
resolutions I believe, but that is no longer an option it seems with
ps.map.  Looking at the paper.h file of the source, it seems that the
preset page sizes do not have a resolution option either.

Using d.out.whatever can yield the same resolution as the screen
however the scale can't be set.

Any ideas?

Using 6.0.1 cvs on a mac.

Cheers,