[GRASSLIST:590] Re: GOES images - again

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 5 17:55:41 EDT 2006

Daniel Victoria wrote:

> > > I'm trying to import GOES tif images that have no georeferencing. The
> > > georef information is in a separate file which I finaly opened. It
> > > contains the lat and lon for every cell in the GOES images. The
> > > problem is, I just can't seem to get the lat/lon information into the
> > > TIF files. Is there any way to do this? gdalwarp? gdal_translate?
> > > i.points?
> >
> > add GCPs with gdal_translate, then gdalwarp?
>
> but my control points are in a huge text list and the switch -gcp in
> gdal_translate does not accept that. So, I have to enter the corner
> points by hand? Or is there a way to make gdal_translate read from a
> text file (all 1200000 points)?

I don't think that gdal_translate was designed to handle such large
numbers of control points.

You could import your data as a vector point map then use v.surf.rst.

You would probably need to match the coordinates with the cell values
manually (e.g. exporting the raster with r.out.ascii, importing the
coordinates along with the r.out.ascii output into a DBMS, then
joining the two tables).

Alternatively, you may be able to get adequate results by using a
small sample of the control points and gdalwarp's -tps switch.