[GRASSLIST:601] Absolute beginner

Thomas Zastrow thomas.zastrow at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Apr 6 08:52:04 EDT 2006

Dear list,

I'm an absolute beginner to the field of GIS-Software, but I have a task
which seems to be solveable with a GIS-software :-)

I'm working in a linguistic project which deals with dialects. So, we
have a land - in this case bulgaria - with villages, cities and so on.
I've got long- and lattitude-values for each of this locations. Now I
need a software which I can tell "Make a point in blue color at this
coordinates".

I think that GIS-Software is the right thing for me? Can I do that with
GRASS?? I'm honest, I downloaded and installed GRASS, read some
tutorials, but I don't know where I can get bulgarian maps and how to
import them and so on ...

Perhaps you can give me some tips?

Thanks a lot,

Tom