[GRASSLIST:604] Re: Absolute beginner

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Apr 6 09:38:45 EDT 2006

Hello Tom,

GIS is the right thing, but perhaps it is better to start with QGIS
(www.qgis.org)  and import your point data (GPS data I suppose - import as
txt using the plugin "insert delimited text layer") and load a satellite
image/boarder etc. file as well. From this point on you can manipulate them
in QGIS and do more sophisticated analysis using GRASS.
BTW the forthcoming version of QGIS can interact with GRASS

For the data, have a look at
http://www.freegis.org
http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/index.shtml
http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/

However there are many other data sources but it depends what you are exactly
looking for.

regards, Maritn

--
Martin Wegmann

DLR - German Aerospace Center
German Remote Sensing Data Center
@
Dept.of Geography
Remote Sensing and Biodiversity Unit
&&
Dept. of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology
University of Wuerzburg
Am Hubland
97074 Würzburg

phone: +49-(0)931 - 888 4797