[GRASSLIST:619] Re: GOES images - again

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 22:13:49 EDT 2006

> I'm trying to import GOES tif images that have no georeferencing. The
> georef information is in a separate file which I finaly opened. It
> contains the lat and lon for every cell in the GOES images. The
> problem is, I just can't seem to get the lat/lon information into the
> TIF files. Is there any way to do this? gdalwarp? gdal_translate?
> i.points?

I see you used i.points to do it, but FYI if the georef points were
square relative to each other you could just make a "world file" for the
TIFF image defining the coordiantes at the four corners. GDAL will look
for and use this file if it exists. Alt. is to put that info into the
TIFF file directly with gdal_translate to make a GeoTIFF.

http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/faq.html#WorldFile1
http://gdal.maptools.org/frmt_gtiff.html

IIRC the -tps rectification of gdalwarp was created to use georef points
at the start and end of satellite scan lines, so maybe some joy adding
lots of -gcp with gdal_translate after all.

Hamish