[GRASSLIST:629] Re: LRS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Apr 8 02:30:33 EDT 2006

A couple ideas on terminology below.

How about using the GPS term 'waypoints' this avoids reference to a
particular distance measuring system (mileposts).

On 4/7/06 2:03 AM, "Radim Blazek" <radim.blazek at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1) The value specifying certain fix point in real world, e.g.
>>   milepost, milestone. The point has usually a physical representation
>>   but I mean the value it represents i.e. mile, kilometer,
>>   not the physical object.
>
> Currently called 'milepost'.
>
> On 3/31/06, Tim Semmelhaack <t.semmelhaack at hamburg-consult.de> wrote:
>> I German we use the expression "Kilometrierung" but I haven't found an
>> English counterpart.
>
> On 4/1/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In the U.S. it will be called like "Mile 17".
>
> Yes, it will be probably difficult to avoid mile or kilometer in the
> name.
>
> On 4/1/06, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
>> http://dict.leo.org/cgi-bin/dict/forum.cgi?action=show&group=forum002_new&sor
>> t_order=&list_size=30&list_skip=60&file=20050820084422
>> Kilometrierung = chainage?
>
> According to the link they use 'chainage' for complete notati,
> i.e. km+m that means 1) + 2) :
> | Chainage is entered and displayed as whole kilometers (1,000 meters) plus a
> | number of meters.
>
>> 2) The value which specifies the distance along a linear object
>>     from 1) (from milepost) to a certain position on the linear feature.
>>     The distance is given for example in meters or feets.
>
> Currently called 'offset'

This seems like a good term.

> On 4/1/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> interval?
>
> I feel that interval is something between 2 points on the same
> level of importance and without 'direction'.
>
>> the "lead"? (as in leader not Pb)
>
>> 3) How to call the module which generates labels of existing LRS
>>     Here is example of a map with labels and strokes generated
>>     byt this module: http://mpa.itc.it/radim/lrs/stationing-small.png
>
> Currently called 'v.lrs.stationing'
>
> On 3/31/06, Laurent C. <lrntct at gmail.com> wrote:
>> v.lrs.label ?
>
> There are also the strokes not just labels.

'Tick marks' or just 'ticks' is probably more appropriate.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

WWW - http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton