[GRASSLIST:739] Re: [Freegis-list] HELP - Othorectification in Free and Open Software (GRASS, OSSIM...)

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Apr 18 06:02:27 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:52:16PM +0200, Luigi Pirelli wrote:
> hi at all,
>
> We're studing Orthorectfication solutions inside the GFOSS world. We need
> to know and share common problems.
>
> In the GRASS world, we found i.ortho.photo, but it's not clear for us what
> algorithm is used by this command (GCP, RPC, others...). Do you have
> experience?

The i.ortho.photo implementation follows the algorithms
described in this book:

 Elements of Photogrammetry, With Air Photo Interpretation and
 Remote Sensing by Paul R. Wolf, 562 pages
 Publisher: McGraw Hill Text; 2nd edition (January 1983)

You can still find it for a few Euros/Dollars.

In GRASS 5, there is a src/libes/image3/ library which is
an extended version including LANDSAT ortho-rectification but
it was never completed (as far as I know). Related commands
are i.points3 and i.rectify3 in GRASS 5. It would be great
if capable programmer(s) make this code (treasure?) ready
for GRASS 6.

Best
 Markus