[GRASSLIST:752] Re: Spatial Clustering or Network Problem?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Apr 19 02:06:59 EDT 2006

Hi Trevor.

Why don't you convert the vector grid to a raster grid, at the resolution of
your vector grid. Then use r.clump. My understanding is that it combines
contiguous groups of cells with similar values into 'clumps'.

This is not the same as clustering, of course, but may be what you want.

The other idea is to cluster grid centroids (x,y,val) using something like
K-means, and doing it iteratively increasing the number of groups. Then look
at the clustering results to identify the optimal number of groups and that
clustering solution.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University