[GRASSLIST:764] Re: Working on pollution data with GRASS... interpolations

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Wed Apr 19 10:31:12 EDT 2006

I ran into some problems recently using GRASS to interpret
groundwater pollution data -- v.surf.rst tends produce regions of
negative pollution (overshoots) around the edge of contaminated
zones.  This is because data sets for pollution studies are often a
bit 'extreme'  with maybe three orders of magnitude difference of
attribute value between some adjacent points.  My solution was two
step -- first crank up the tension (I used values of up to 1500) to
pull the surface as tight as possible and eliminate the negatives.
If that didn't work, I log transformed the data to 'calm it down' for
graphic presentation purpose (that's probably how you would contour
it by hand anyway).  v.surf.rst does allow you to account for
anisotropy (an elongated plume for example) with 'theta' and
'scalex'.  But of course you have to know roughly what the anisotropy
is first in order to use this feature.

I'd also like to know if there's a better way to deal with this problem.

Stuart