[GRASSLIST:773] Re: Planning swath bathymetry surveys

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 23:48:10 EDT 2006

> Has anyone built a tool to assist in planning SWATH bathymetry surveys
> in GRASS? Alternatively, do you know of a tool that would take
> existing bathymetry as input and help me plan survey lines?

r.transect -g, r.profile -g
and make vector lines from result, then v.buffer?
That way might be fairly labor intensive without a script.
just use v.digit or QGIS digitization of lines over a DEM backdrop?

how much will depth vary? (as beam width & space between tracks will
increase with depth)

"v.mkgrid angle=" might be quite useful

Simrad setup or similar? digital out?

For old paper Sidescan Sonar recorders + GPS track the new thin plate
spline warping in gdalwarp has given me much better results than with
Caris GIS or ERDAS. A few bumps along the way but in the end a pretty
smooth process.

Someone made a good free (beer) data viewer for swath data.. can't
remember the name now :/ I'll rereply if it comes to me.

Ocean Data View isn't really what you're after, but maybe useful:
  http://odv.awi-bremerhaven.de/

Also check out Bob's Tekmap website. http://www.tekmap.ns.ca/

Hamish