[GRASSLIST:823] Re: Live Earthquake Map: GRASS/PHP

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Apr 23 12:55:28 EDT 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:54:43PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> > just some fun:
> >
> >  http://grass.itc.it/spearfish/php_grass_earthquakes.php
> >  Recent Earthquakes: map generated by GRASS on the fly with PHP
> >

> > Not nice (yet) but working in real time.
>
> neat. Maybe change the color rule to move ocean -> black down to 5-8 km
> instead of 500m? (that color scale was designed for showing detail in
> the coastal shelf)

I just grabbed the Blue Marble via r.in.wms. So it won't be that
easy to modify the color table.

> For finer-grained circle sizes, with ps.map you can use the sizecol
> option with the vpoints command. Or d.vect.chart can do this, or
> 'v.buffer bufcol='.
>
> maybe better to plot circles as e^boom as it's based on a log scale?

I liked the d.vect.thematic, maybe improve this?
For now I have used the "nint" parameter to define more classes. For
unknown reasons the use of
  themecalc="custom_breaks" breakpoints="0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10"
fails in the PHP script (no time now to investigate) which would be
better.

I also tried to play with the where option to recolor the circles
on their age as USGS does. But I didn't come up with a working
SQL statement (to select field values minus some days etc). The use
of v.reclass would be good, but one has to figure out how to do
classification on dates.

> Hamish
>
> ps - I know one of those circles quite well. :)

:-)

Markus