[GRASSLIST:859] Re: v.segment

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Tue Apr 25 11:48:11 EDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:32:13 -0700
Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Trevor,
>
> not sure if this would do what you want, but I made a module called
> d.bearing for the creation of transects, with some notes on dividing up
> the main line segment into points along that line:
>
> http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/149

Dylan,

Thanks for the link. I may use it in the future. I modified my script
to use. v.categories to add the category information (it was cleaner
than using v.build). Making the stops with v.segment is fast. The slow
part was building the attribute table at the end. It is still a bit slow
(1 - 2 minutes for every 1000 points on my fairly new AMD box) but
works. v.segment was great because the BBS (Breeding Bird Survey)
routes are not straight, but follow road lines. They digitized the
routes, but didn't have the stop information (observation locations), so
I needed to break them up and number them so I can relate the bird
information to the right piece of landscape. My solution wasn't
perfect, but the day it took to figure it out was a lot quicker than
going out with GPS unit to 173 routes scatted across Alberta. My
v.makestops script needs some cleanup, but I will post it to the wiki
later. I think it is potentially useful for others.

Thanks

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)