[GRASSLIST:865] Re: [GRASS5] New GRASS intro

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Tue Apr 25 16:29:27 EDT 2006

Hallo developers,

personaly I do not use the new gui, because I can not use d.* commands
(d.rast and d.vect). I thing, that the new monitors do have the right
functions (zooming, panning, redrawing, ...), but it is often faster to
write, what map one would like to see, then to click it in the gui.

Would it be possible to make run this monitors in background as daemons, so they
would "observe" the png files (png1-png7) and redraw them selve every
time, the files would be changed?

Jachym

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:49:19PM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> With the move toward releasing GRASS 6.2, it?s time we had a new intro to
> greet users starting GRASS.
>
> I?d hoped to make something really spiffy, easy for first time users to
> navigate without getting confused about GRASS jargon, but still quick for
> experienced users. Alas, I haven?t had the time to do all this before the
> impending 6.2 feature freeze, but I did manage to update things somewhat
> from the venerable, Spartan grey intro.
>
> I?ve rearranged the items on the intro screen to distinguish different
> functions, changed the descriptions to make it clearer that locations are
> for projections and mapsets are where a ŒGIS? is stored, etc. I also added a
> new button to create a projection location from a georeferenced file (uses
> GDAL/OGR via g.proj). Finally, I added some color to the intro. No I didn?t
> make it green, but I did add a nice GRASS graphic.
>
> Many thanks to Markus who helped me get this committed to the cvs, where it
> now resides for your geospatial enjoyment.
>
> I think the next step would be to replace the g.setproj terminal screen for
> defining projections with a nicer GUI one based on g.proj. Another thing
> would be to add a search function to the excellent EPSG codes database.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

Jachym Cepicky