[GRASSLIST:867] Re: New GRASS intro

Wolfgang wollez at gmx.net
Tue Apr 25 16:45:36 EDT 2006

Hi,

and I still thought that the 6.1 is a beta and you are talking about a
6.2? I think what the most important thing is which has to be improved
for a beginner is the installation of grass. I'm running on cygwin and I
did not dare to try anything else which is provided by the cygwin
installer (at least that there is some version at all is a great help).

You are right, as a new user I had problems to understand what a
location/mapset is and how to create them. What me helped was a step by
step tutorial (sorry I'm only civil engineer who uses Grass for private
purposes).

I'm sometimes still confused that some commands need instead of "input"
a "map" at least this should be aliased.

An other thing I realized quite late is that many options are only
working when Grass is compiled with the right commands, but when you
have installed a binary version you hardly figure out which "plugins"
are working (mrsid in, ecw out, ...)

But I'm not thinking bad of Grass at all! I only takes a lot of effort
to get into it. Now I can handle some functionality like importing maps,
reprojecting maps, joining maps, using r.resamp and also exporting them
quite well. For getting so far having a step by step manual helped a lot
(and also the mailing list).

A final remark on the EPSG list. It seems that no all possibilities
(grids) are included and that (at least one) lacks the right false
northing. Also (when I under stand right) EPSG codes are available for
Datums and national meter grids (which need a datum).

If you need a beta tester who can "simulate" a new user, then you can
always ask me ;-)

Cheers
Wolfgang