[GRASSLIST:913] Re: Planning swath bathymetry surveys

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 15:11:26 EDT 2006

I've simplified my script a bit based on Hamish's suggestions. But I
still can't figure out how to get the vector areas to equal the vector
boundaries. I have messed around with v.clean a bit, but haven't
stumbled on the solution yet. Here is an update to the script and
another picture of what I am writing about:

http://pages.google.com/edit/david.p.finlayson/swathwidth

For my problem, buffering the nodes with circles means that the buffer
is working both normal to my line (which is what I want) but also
parallel to my line which is not ok for my application. Swath beams
don't spread out in a circle, they are thin rectangles. So, the
planning tool I am working on will overestimate the swath coverage
when the survey crosses from deep to shallow water (or vis-a-vis).

--
David Finlayson