[GRASSLIST:942] Re: [GRASS5] Proposal: RFC 1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 13:19:42 EDT 2006

On 4/27/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Why using the majority is not smooth?
>
> The problem is that if 4 people vote for something and 3 vote against it,
> and it is considered passed anyways it can result in alot of bad feelings.
> The "Apache way" is to try and reach consensus.  Any sort of overruling is
> seen as a last resort.

That _seems_ to be reasonable, but then it should be for example +20%
not +2 votes.

But I think that it realy just seems to be rasonable because
if you set some +x or +x% limit then the result depends on the question.
Basicaly if you ask 'are you for' or 'are you against'?
If I know that it is controversial question and it will not pass,
I can revert the question to get the result I want.

It can seem to be absurd but I saw such a 'referendum' in real life.
They just wanted the result 'no' so they asked 'are you in favour of this?'
The majority voted 'yes' but the result was 'no' because the majority
was not big enough because of a rule similar to +x%.

Radim