[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] HOLD YOUR VOTES: Changes to the PSC process

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Tue Aug 1 15:27:53 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 11:14 -0400, Sampson, David wrote:
> * PLEASE RESPOND TO GRASS USERS LIST*

It'll probably bounce, but here's trying...  Why this is being discussed
on the user list is a little beyond me, but I'm not complaining...

> Third, it has also been suggested to gather some ideas of the voting
> system. E-mail to a single person may not be the best or most
> un-biased route. Some if people have an idea of how to go about voting
> would be great. Here are some other options

I assumed that voting would take place on the list over a reasonable
time and someone simply keeps tally.  Not difficult.  I don't like the
idea of moving voting elsewhere.  It's just another layer of confusion,
IMHO.  If people feel more "secure" with an outside voting system to get
the PSC started, fine, but I don't envision it lasting any longer than
that.

> 1.      Users List. This is not anonymous and may not represent a true
> vote count for fear of offending friends or colleges. Someone needs to
> monitor. Easiest to implement

Is anonymity such a big deal, here?  Is the human psyche really that
frail?

> In short, if the community wants a change to the process, I am more
> than happy to help it happen. I am going on Vacation in August so the
> below dates have considered this. If these dates don't work, then
> perhaps someone with a more flexible schedule can accommodate. Or if
> we like where things are going we can just continue the current
> process. We could also extend the nominee process for all of August to
> allow other vacationers to accept nomination and commence the votes in
> September for two weeks for a goal of having the PSC formed by mid
> September. Just in time for those profs and students to get pumped for
> OSGEO and GRASS.

Thanks for getting things rolling again.  I don't know if voting should
be extended an entire month, but we'll figure it out.  I think two weeks
should be a reasonable voting period for most people.

> Successes:
> -----------
> 1. We now have 7 people that have accepted their nomination to the PSC

Make that 8.  I accept...finally. ;)

> Challenges:
> ------------
> 1. As the nominations come in and votes are cast there might be an
> imbalance in favour of those who have been on the list longer

Rightly so, IMHO.  It takes considerable time to wrap ones head around
the entire project.

> 2. the process has no distinct END. Eg when do we have a complete PSC?

After the voting and positions have been filled?  Speaking of which,
what *are* the positions and how many?  I believe those are more
pressing challenges.

> 4. Some feel the PSC nomination process may be moving a little fast,
> and conclusions made too early.

We've been talking about this for months, now.  If it doesn't start
picking up the pace, it will *never* happen.  Let's not turn this into a
bureaucracy.

> 9. Some extraordinary nominees may require more time to feel their
> concerns have been addressed before committing to the PSC.

I thought most of this had been resolved?

> PROPOSED PROCESS

>         * Votes would be sent to me directly off line (one or two
> other people I could CC to keep process open is recommended)

I prefer open voting on the list.  Not that I have any distrust in
anyone, but it's much easier to verify something everyone can see.

> 4. Announce the new PSC
>         * Do we publish unsuccessful members?

No.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                      KB8UYR
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785