[GRASS-user] R.composite equivalent

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 3 22:56:10 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > Playing around with grass61 I notice there is no r.composite (as per the
> > > GRASS book)....
> >
> > r.composite is present in all 6.x versions, and all of the later 5.x
> > versions. If it isn't present on your system, that suggests an error
> > in building GRASS.
> >
> > There used to be a d.composite in the old 5.x versions; that has been
> > made obsolete by r.composite and d.rgb.
>
> Apropos - for GRASS 7, I suggest to rename it to r.rgb (or we are
> happy to drop the d.* family for something else).

Rename what to r.rgb? r.composite? I think that the current name is
more accurate.

BTW, regarding d.composite vs d.rgb: the former merged separate R/G/B
maps into a composite image then displayed the result, while d.rgb
uses the RGB raster interface (which was created specifically for that
purpose) without generating an intermediate composite image.