[GRASS-user] v.segment - how to use orthogonal offset?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Aug 4 06:46:34 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 03:08:58PM -0300, Patton, Eric wrote:
> Here's a text file I prepared for use as stdin for v.segment:
>
> P 1 2 100 100
> P 2 2 200 100
> P 3 2 300 100
> P 4 2 400 100
>
> The fourth column, according to the v.segment html page, is the orthogonal
> offset from the input vector. But no matter what I make this value, the
> output vector is never offset, it's always in the middle of the width of the
> line. What am I doing wrong here?

Maybe nothing (not sure):

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2005-December/031522.html
">> What does the extra, optional value <side offset> in v.segment stands for?

 > The point placed in the give distance form the line.
 >
 >> I couldn't get any differences by using this!
 >
 > That would be bug, are you sure you use appropriate zoom
 > for given distance.

 It still doesn't work ...
"

I don't see any answer from Radim.

with
g.gisenv set="DEBUG=2"
you should see some related output how the file is parsed.

In the code I don't see that side_offset modifies offset1 or
offset2 (which it probably should).

Markus