[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASSLIST:1175] add centroids automatically to area boundaries

Ulrich Leopold uleopold at science.uva.nl
Thu Aug 10 11:05:14 EDT 2006

On Thu, August 10, 2006 15:48, Moritz Lennert wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> see v.category for this. I have added a micro FAQ for this:
>>> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Convert_vector_types
>>
>> I tried that already but it did not work. It even changes the polygons
>> back to
>> single lines. But good that you opened a micro FAQ to add the solution
>> later.
>> Any other ideas?
>
> Are you sure your lines are closed, thus defining real areas ? You can
> check with v.digit.

I put a screenshot on the WiKi page:
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Convert_vector_types

The lines seem to be closed. But a lot of boundaries are without areas as you
can see from the legend on the right hand side.

And v.clean does not do the job. I used v.type to convert from lines to
boundaries.

So possibly that the problem are boundaries with no areas? But then how can I
change that?