[GRASS-user] Geometry problem

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.net
Sun Aug 13 04:23:56 EDT 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:

>> WARNING: Illegal value for east: 550E
>> WARNING: Illegal value for west: 350E

>> Is there any way to override the sanity check? It's easy to work
>> around it, but that would miss the whole point with the map.

> Change the "proj" field in the WIND file to 0 (X-Y), import the file,
> change it back again.

I tried 'r.in.gdal ... location=blah' and the new location was created
as xy automagically. Referencing was a bitch, first time ever, proverbial
steep curve, but by now I have a gtiff with the right geometry, gdalinfo
says "Center (451.719, -9.730)". Me happy as a just-fed baby.

Grass developers, please don't ever make it idiot-proof. Once every now
and then, someone trying to set crazy values might actually need them for
a good reason. Give warnings and proceed, rather than errors and stop.