[GRASS-user] GRASS 6.3 on OSX

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 16 04:11:17 EDT 2006

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> > First, do I need to completely remove all GRASS binaries,
> > libraries, etc., and start over (my assumption is no, but I want to
> > be safe before I either screw something up or, minimally, end up
> > with two copies of stuff on my hard drive and therefore wasting
> > valuable real estate!)?
> >
> If you are building from source, it depends on where you are going to
> install it, and how.  A normal unix build and install will install
> where you set the prefix, if this is over a current install, you
> shouldn't need to delete the old one first, unless it's a major
> update so you don't have remains of the old one left behind.

Note that "grass-<version>" is appended to the prefix, so 6.3 installs
to <prefix>/grass-6.3.cvs as opposed to <prefix>/grass-6.1.cvs for
previous versions.

Similarly, the script which is installed in the binary directory has
an abbreviated version number appended, e.g. grass61 or grass63.

So, you can have 6.1 installed in /usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs and started
by running "grass61", and 6.3 installed in /usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs
and started by running "grass63".

Also, you can install multiple variants of a single version by
renaming the installation directory and script for the existing
version, and changing the setting of GISBASE in the script to match
the renamed installation directory.