[GRASS-user] Region definition in Grass 6.1 (and 6.1 cvs)

Jarek Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Thu Aug 17 18:14:08 EDT 2006

Maciej Sieczka napisał(a):
> Jarek Jasiewicz napisał(a):
>

>> I compiled grass 6.1 a couple hours ago, I found that some changes were
>> made in the Map Display region definition. In erlier cvs version the
>> zoom in and the zoom out were independend form the region changing (I'm
>> not talking about "discrete" ragion changing during zooming and
>> panning). It was good and natural idea. In final 6.1 the zoom on Map
>> Display changes the region definition!  It works similar to 6.0 and
>> erliers versions of grass.
>>

>> I don't know, it is bug? - it could be because the only way to change
>> region definition (resolution and boundaries) is to use shell comand
>> line.
>>

> Sorry but I'm not sure if I understand - are you saying that gis.m's
> zoom/pan tools affect current region (stored in WIND file)?
>
> I can't reproduce that - for me this works as supposed to.

> 1. g.region -p
> 2. zoom/pan in gis.m
> 3. g.region -p
>
> Does the output of 1. and 2. differ? (it shouldn't).
>

>> Usage a Gui from GIS manager or command line in Ouptut GIS.m gives
>> no effect - function work, but after "using zoom to current region set
>> with g.region" region parameters are still the same as in WIND file (I
>> mentioned it some time ago)
>>

> That's correct - "zoom to current region set with g.region" *should*
> make gis.m's region equal to current WIND file content. What's wrong
> about this?
>
> Best,
> Maciek

Here result:
from  shell command line:
 the same

from GUI command line (Output GIS.m) and from menu
before:
projection: 99 (Stereographic)
zone:       0
datum:      towgs84=33.4,-146.6,-76.3,-0.359,-0.053,0.844,-0.84
ellipsoid:  a=6378245 es=0.006693421622965943
north:      5655007.14
south:      5634997.14
west:       3559995.16
east:       3576005.16
nsres:      5
ewres:      5
rows:       4002
cols:       3202

after:
projection: 99 (Stereographic)
zone:       0
datum:      towgs84=33.4,-146.6,-76.3,-0.359,-0.053,0.844,-0.84
ellipsoid:  a=6378245 es=0.006693421622965943
north:      5652671.17084
south:      5644693.61577
west:       3562331.12916
east:       3570000.16
nsres:      4.99846809
ewres:      4.99936821
rows:       1596
cols:       1534
as you see: that are different values

but most important: If you zoom in and make some action (for example
r.to.vect) it will affect ONLY on zoomed fragment
try to change resolution from GUI (eg menu or GUI command line)
regards
Jarek