[GRASS-user] RE: PSC: Nominations

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Aug 18 04:24:30 EDT 2006

Hello Paul,

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:56:27PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> I think being a full part of OSGeo is probably a good idea, possibly
> more for political reasons than technical really, which I suppose is a
> messy area to be getting into---but we're already there e.g. with
> talking about having to have 6.2.0 released in time for the FOSS4G2006
> conference in September so it doesn't matter!

Isn't the 6.2.0 release completely unrelated to OSGeo? I/Hamish/others
just think that it would be nice to have a stable release soon since
the code is pretty stable and since we didn't have a stable release
for a long time. So it's a nice occasion to do that for FOSS4G2006.

In general, I would see OSGeo as a good opportunity to promote GRASS
and related projects around the globe. I cannot imagine that e.g.
the OSGeo board steps up to give design suggestions to GRASS or
whatever, this will certainly remain in the GRASS community. And
the requirement to keep the code free of copyright infringements
is already a GPL request.

A PSC is useful to decide about the release cycle - up to now it
was usually proposed and executed by a few individuals with little
discussion. To move that into a group sounds more reasonable to
me.

Markus