[GRASS-user] minimum basin size for output from r.terraflow

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 15:17:44 EDT 2006

On the topic of watershed basin delineation...

In preparing a small demo for my labmates, I was asked about the best way to
delineate watershed basins at various scales with an algorithm like
r.terraflow. With r.watershed, it is possible to define a minimum basin size,
which can act as a scaling parameter. As a quick hack, I attempted to
replicate this by vectorizing the output from r.terraflow and then using
v.clean to remove basins smaller than some threshold. The results were
largely similar to the basins produced by r.watershed, but in some cases the
purely vector-based approach to "scaling" the basins resulted in questionable
output (not surprisingly).

So is there any logical way to define a minimum basin size for modules like
r.terraflow - or does that construct even make sense for such algorithms [1].

1. noting that the concept of a watershed basin actually occurs at all scales,
and is most likely fractal in nature.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette