[GRASS-user] Region definition in Grass 6.1 (and 6.1 cvs)

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Aug 21 03:24:30 EDT 2006

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

> From: David Finlayson <david.p.finlayson at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:56:00 -0700
> To: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Cc: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>, <grassuser at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Region definition in Grass 6.1 (and 6.1 cvs)
>
> Region definition and modification is a critical feature of a GIS (probably
> THE distinguishing feature of a GIS over a drawing program). However it is
> done, it should be simple to understand and there should be no surprises. I
> favor an option panel that explicitly controls how regions are modified and
> controlled during zooming and panning. Three obvious behaviors are:
>
> - region defined manually (nothing ever ever changes this no matter what is
> displayed on the screen)

Do you mean the region for non-display commands? In order to put an image
into a canvas, you need to set the region (or at least a temporary/dynamic
region) and render the map to an image file that can be displayed in the
canvas. If you zoom in or out, you must reset this region and re-render the
map to a new image file for display. So this probably means changing the
region for display does not affect the region settings used by other,
non-display modules.

This is what happens now if you start/run any module from the command line

> - region matches display (cut region at nearest cell boundary)

Region for non-display modules matches the region set for rendering a map to
the current display. This is pretty much how things work in normal mode if
run from the GIS Manager menus.

> - region matches display, dynamically redefine resolution to match set number
> of rows and columns

This is what happens in Œexplore mode¹--i.e., when the fill display with map
button is toggled.