[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1178] how to use cloud cover with r.sun?

Vishal Mehta vishalm1975 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:25:34 EDT 2006

Thanks everyone,
a few thoughts-
1. Neither the r.sun manual, nor the r.slope.aspect manual, states that the
x,y and elevation units should be the same. In fact both manuals say the
elevation should be in meters! r.sun talks about how if the maps are
projected then it does'nt matter- but it does not talk of use with lat-long
system(nor does r.slope.aspect).

do these manuals then just assume that we are using a projection where the
x,y are in meters??

2. Hamish and Markus are right - my study area covers several utm zones.

3. At this point i'll try the dem, slope, aspect and r.sun in Lambert
conformal conic projection with everest datum;
or if that does not work, i'll try Hamish' idea of rescaling the elevation
to degrees.

I still cant get over the idea that GRASS cant handle correctly slope
generation in  lat-long coordinates with elevation in meters!

thanks again,
vishal