[GRASS-user] [bug #3041] nviz max resolution ppm image dump

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 02:06:08 EDT 2006

William Hargrove wrote:
> >>My nviz dies with a segfault when I try to dump an image as maximum
> >>resolution ppm.
> >>
> >>I have this same problem with grass 6.1 under FC 5, and under grass
> >>5.4 under FC 4.
..

Hamish wrote:
> >what's the date on the 6.1? 6.1.0 or 6.1-cvs? This was an old known
> >problem on 64bit &/or big endian (Mac G5), I had thought that it was
> >fixed by Glynn & crew some months ago.

I guess it is this bug after all:

William Hargrove wrote:
> This is 6.1.0 built from source, running under 64-bit FC 5.
>
> Here is what happens when I try to dump a max-res ppm:
>
> recalculating normals...
> recalculating normals...
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_animation_save" --  Save
> procedure for panel animation may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_kanimator_save" --  Save
> procedure for panel kanimator may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_query_save" --  Save procedure
> for panel query may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_sdiff_save" --  Save procedure
> for panel sdiff may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_label_save" --  Save procedure
> for panel label may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_scale_save" --  Save procedure
> for panel scale may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_pos_save" --  Save procedure
> for  panel pos may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_resize_save" --  Save procedure
>
> for panel resize may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_pick_save" --  Save procedure
> for  panel pick may not be defined
> Diagnostic: invalid command name "Nviz_highlight_save" --  Save
> procedure for panel highlight may not be defined
> Creating PBuffer Using GLX 1.3
> Final Assembled Image will be 1 x 1
> Writing Tile 1 of 1
> Assembling Tiles
> GLX -- destroy pbuffer
> ./donviz: line 2: 10088 Segmentation fault      nviz
> elevation=elev48.new color=neon2.25
> vector=states100,neondomains_states
>
> Any ideas?

I get a segfault too:   (32bit P4, 2gig RAM, Debian/stable)

Speafish with nviz window made to be large:

G63> nviz elevation.10m
Update elev null mask
translating colors from fp
recalculating normals...
r200_makeX86Normal3fv/197 CVAL 0 OFFSET 14 VAL 8260df0
r200_makeX86Normal3fv/198 CVAL 4 OFFSET 20 VAL 8260df4
r200_makeX86Normal3fv/199 CVAL 8 OFFSET 25 VAL 8260df8
r200_makeX86Normal3fv done
% recalculating normals...
Creating PBuffer Using GLX 1.3
Create PixMap Using GLX 1.1
Final Assembled Image will be 1935 x 2048
Writing Tile 1 of 9
Writing Tile 2 of 9
Writing Tile 3 of 9
MALLOC Failed
Segmentation fault

(hard to replicate)

The "MALLOC Failed" message comes from lib/ogsf/gsd_prim.c

/************************************************************************/
int gsd_writeView(unsigned char **pixbuf, unsigned int xsize,
                  unsigned int ysize)
{

    /* Malloc Buffer for image */
    *pixbuf = malloc(xsize * ysize * 4);

    if (!*pixbuf) {
        fprintf(stderr, "MALLOC Failed\n");
        return (0);
    }

    /* Read image buffer */
    glReadBuffer(GL_FRONT);

    /* Read Pixels into Buffer */
    glReadPixels(0, 0, xsize, ysize, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, *pixbuf);
    return (1);
}

/************************************************************************/

with window left at starting size:  [note larger "Final Assembled Size"]

G63> nviz elevation.10m
Update elev null mask
translating colors from fp
recalculating normals...
r200_makeX86Normal3fv/197 CVAL 0 OFFSET 14 VAL 82613f8
r200_makeX86Normal3fv/198 CVAL 4 OFFSET 20 VAL 82613fc
r200_makeX86Normal3fv/199 CVAL 8 OFFSET 25 VAL 8261400
r200_makeX86Normal3fv done
% Creating PBuffer Using GLX 1.3
Create PixMap Using GLX 1.1
Final Assembled Image will be 2048 x 2048
Writing Tile 1 of 9
Writing Tile 2 of 9
Writing Tile 3 of 9
Writing Tile 4 of 9
Writing Tile 5 of 9
Writing Tile 6 of 9
Writing Tile 7 of 9
Writing Tile 8 of 9
Writing Tile 9 of 9
Assembling Tiles
pnmcat: Zero byte allocation
pnmcat failed to create assembled image
Check that pnmcat is installed and path is set
pnmcat: Zero byte allocation
pnmcat failed to create assembled image
Check that pnmcat is installed and path is set
pnmcat: Zero byte allocation
pnmcat failed to create assembled image
Check that pnmcat is installed and path is set
pnmcat: EOF / read error reading magic number
pnmcat failed to create assembled images
Check that pnmcat is installed and path is set
Destroy Pixmap and GLXPixmap

no segfault, NVIZ keeps running, these files are left behind:
(easy to replicate)

      0 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2.ppm
3145745 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_1_1.ppm
3145745 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_1_2.ppm
     14 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_1_3.ppm
3145745 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_2_1.ppm
3145745 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_2_2.ppm
     14 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_2_3.ppm
     14 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_3_1.ppm
     14 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_3_2.ppm
     11 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2_3_3.ppm
      0 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2tmp1.ppm
      0 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2tmp2.ppm
      0 Aug 29 17:24 spearNVhi2tmp3.ppm
      0 Aug 29 17:30 spearNVhi3.ppm.ppm

assembly of rows then full image fail as partials are not valid images
(14 byte ones). Images with data assemble, but contain random x-window
buffer weirdness: multi-virtual-desktop collages.

I haven't tried it with just one workspace.

minimizing the NVIZ window (before clicking "ok" for the output
filename) gives the same result.

at the end of the bug report Glynn offers a reason, but I have no idea
where to go from there. Dumb debugging effort: I still get the broken
result if I comment out "Nset_cancel_func update" in
  visualization/nviz/scripts/nviz2.2_script
and rebuild nviz.

?
Hamish