[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1181] d.m/d.gis mysteries..

Zbigniew Perski perski at us.edu.pl
Tue Aug 29 09:49:41 EDT 2006

Hi all...

I am trying to understand how d.gis and d.m works in a new grass6.1.0
version.
I have previously used grass6.1.cvs version from 0.4.feb.2006 which I
like a lot.
The first mystery (for me) is that the files at d.m/menu.tcl:
465 lines including all menu positions - my old cvs version
45(!) lines including SOME menu positions - new 6.1.0

why is like that? What is more strange I could not find other file where
the rest of menus are stored

The second mystery (for me) is d.gis. It is very nice but still I can
not understand how to use it.
For use it I mean to be able to display the results of some of my
scripts.
I have developed bunch of scripts for very specific data visualization.
I have even integrated them with gui of the previous version (I mean
mentioned cvs). My scripts unfortunately does not working with the new
d.gis. Of course I have always switch to d.m but it also need some
adjustment (see 'mystery 01').
I will be very happy if somebody can explain me how to port e.g. the
script which is using e.g. d.what.vect command or the script which
utilize multiple call to d.vect.thematic and displaying the results on
the same display.

Best regards

Zbigniew