[GRASS-user] Working with USA Public Land Survey System

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Aug 31 06:36:10 EDT 2006

Henry,

Are you looking to section a vector into quadrants, or are you interested in
sectioning an analysis region?

If you need analysis regions sectioned, you could set current region to one
of your square sections and then create a vector polygon from it using
v.in.region. If you convert the region to raster via v.to.rast, you could
try my script r.fragment which sections a raster into an arbitrary number of
smaller sections (you define how many rows and columns it gets sectioned
by). Then convert back to vector with r.to.vect

You can download the script here:
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#Raster_add-ons

AFAIK, it hasn't undergone any serious testing yet (by anyone other than
me), so it should be considered beta, and probably contains bugs. However,
it may be useful. If you do decide to use it, please report any bugs to me.

Regards,

~ Eric.